Firefox

August 20th, 2007

FirefoxIf you’ve been around the Internet like I have, you’ve probably at least heard of Firefox. If you haven’t, you’re missing out on the winner of PC World Magazine’s “Product of the Year” award in 2005. Firefox is a web browser, like Safari or Internet Explorer, and like all the other tools that are going to be available through this site, it’s completely free.

You might ask yourself why you would want to go through the trouble of downloading and installing Firefox when you already have a perfectly usable web browser. I’m aware that Internet Explorer 7 and Safari are “totally legit, yo,” but Firefox’s enhanced security and stability, coupled with the availability of amazing add-ons (I like to call them extensions), make it the preferred choice for many users. Firefox is also available for Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista, so no excuses.

Firefox can be downloaded at www.getfirefox.com.

When you download and install Firefox, you’ll notice that it has the same features of your current browser. Customizable search box, pop-up blocker, address bar, refresh, all that jazz. If you have Internet Explorer 7 or Safari, you’ll notice that it also has tabbed browsing, which creates new pages in individual “tabs” at the top of the screen, as opposed to loading each page in a new window. If you’re still using Internet Explorer 6, Firefox is worth downloading for the tabbed browsing feature alone.

Where Firefox really shines, however, is the availability of add-ons to enhance your browsing experience. I’m not going to go into the gory details of all of them because there are so many, but they can be used to do things like change Firefox’s look and feel, make the most of shopping, bookmarks, searching, blogging, etc.

The add-on directory can be found here: http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ . The add-ons, like Firefox, are free. w00t.